Here is a collection of the top questions people ask me about how to dose their animal with a homeopathic remedy. This is your one-stop post for answering your dosing questions!
How do I make a liquid homeopathic remedy for my dog or cat?
How do I dose my animal with a homeopathic remedy for acute symptoms?
How do I give a liquid remedy dose to my animal?
How do I give dry pellet doses to my animal by mouth?
- The pellets do not need to be swallowed or completely dissolved, but should be in the mouth for at lease 30 seconds.
- Do not touch the pellets with your hands.
- The smaller the pellet, the more likely your animal will not spit them out. Think about it this way – your cat cleans himself so there is hair and dirt in their mouth frequently. Your dog chews on all sorts of things and doesn’t worry about spitting out debris. So, the #10 sized pellets, poppy seed size, are the easiest to give in the dry form; however, they are not the most available at the health food stores.
What should I know before giving homeopathic remedies?
- Administer homeopathic medicine into a neutral mouth- No food or drinks (other than water) 15 minutes before or after dose.
- Keep in mind that the higher the potency, the stronger the remedy. (Ordered here from lowest to highest: 6C, 30C, 200C, 1M)
- Do not touch the remedy that you are dispensing to your animal. You may touch the remedy pellets if you are taking it.
How do I dose the remedies for acute and chronic illness?
Dosing remedies depends on the nature of the illness, the strength (potency) of the remedy, the availability of the person dosing the animal, and the compliance of the animal to take the remedy.
For Acute illness, accidents, sudden onset of symptoms:
- Give the remedy as often as every 5 minutes until you see an improvement in symptoms. Improvement in symptoms could mean your animal is more relaxed, stops panting, closes their eyes, wants to be close to you, wants to eat or drink – anything that tells you they feel better.
- Continue to give the remedy (this varies with remedy potency and situation) 2 more times, once per hour. You may need to repeat this once per hour rhythm for a few more doses if the situation seems appropriate. For example, if your dog has a nose bleed, you give Phosphorus 30C every 5 minutes for 4 doses, with a great decrease in bleeding. Repeat the remedy about every 15-30 minutes for one to two doses. Then wait about 1 hour or so until you’re sure the bleeding has stopped. If the bleeding returns, repeat the remedy once (or twice) as needed to complete the healing process.
- The treatment of acute illness with homeopathic remedies requires you, the pet parent, to be observant, and to trust what you’re seeing and feeling. The treatment is not rote – give the remedy frequently then back off and evaluate the response. If the response is good, then repeat if the symptoms return. If there is no response, give another remedy and repeat the process.
For Chronic illness:
It’s best to consult with a practitioner to give guidance on dosing remedies. Frequent dosing is not indicated if using high potencies (above 300C), but might be given early in treatment for very short periods.
What are the things that don’t matter about homeopathic remedies, but are important to know?
- The number of pellets in each dose does not matter at the potencies we most frequently use (X, C, M), but you will use up your supply if you give more than is needed. Giving more than one or two pellets (no matter the size of the remedy) is not needed. Directions on the bottles are just guidelines and required by FDA, but are not needed for the full effect of the remedies. One pellet is really all you need!
- The time of day/night for each dosing is not important unless your practitioner clearly defines when to dose. Some remedies are best given during certain times of the day or night, but this suggestion should be left to the practitioner. For acute situations, give the remedy immediately.
- The amount of milk or water used to dissolve the pellets is not critical except when using the LM potencies, which are more typically prescribed for chronic ailments. For the more common remedy potencies (X, C, M), diluting the pellets in any amount of water is fine. The animal does not have to drink that entire amount, only a few drops. Even one drop is enough for the body to recognize the potentized water or milk. It is the Vital Force or the energy of the body that recognizes the remedy and is stimulated to start the healing process.
- Dissolving the pellets completely is not important because the medicine is on the pellets, not in the pellets. Just dissolve the pellets a bit by stirring vigorously (I prefer a wooden spoon) or succussing a dropper bottle against the palm of your hand about 10 times.
What are the important things to remember when using remedies?
How should I store my homeopathic remedies?
- NOT anywhere hot or cold: no refrigeration, no hot or cold cars or outdoor storage stalls.
- NOT near computers, cell phones, electrical outlets, etc.
- NOT near herbs, spices, or other strong-smelling substances, essential oils, incense, etc.