If we’re toxic, they’re toxic!
We’re all swimming in the same ‘soup’, breathing the same air, drinking the same water, eating much of the same food. Well, almost. Studies have shown that our animals are exposed to more toxins, probably hundreds more. These include, but aren’t limited to:
- antibiotics, drugs
- auto exhaust
- BPA’s (bisphenol A)
- breast milk (the most toxic beverage on the planet!)
- cigarette smoke (2nd hand)
- coal burning power plants
- EMF’s (electromagnetic fields) – computers, phones, televisions, etc.
- fertilizers, household lawn and garden chemicals
- fire retardants (bedding)
- fish: mercury, arsenic, strontium (Fukishima disaster)
- foods and treats of poor quality (colorings, preservatives, contaminated vitamins), liver, jerky, processed grains, dehydrated breast meat (glycerin)
- Genetically Modified Foods
- floor cleaners
- herbicides, fungicides, pesticides
- hormones (animal)
- meat, poultry, pork (cured, processed, nitrates)
- medications: anti-inflammatory, antibiotics, pain
- molds (mycotoxins)
- oil refineries
- pesticides for fleas, ticks, heart worms
- phthalates (plastics softener) toys, drugs, bowls, perfumes, cosmetics
- ceramic dishes (lead)
- paint fumes
- refined grains (cadmium), rice (cadmium, arsenic)
- salt (mercury)
- shampoos, soaps, medicated shampoos, flea shampoos
- tin, aluminum canned food (lined with plastic)
- vaccinations (mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, fungicides, antibiotics, etc)
- water: flouride, chlorine
Better Than A White Tornado
The most commonly recognized detox organ is the liver; but other organs are also important for cleansing the body of waste products. The skin is the largest detox organ, but the colon and the kidneys also play important roles in the detox process. All these organs work synergistically to maintain efficient metabolic functions and assist the processing of waste and toxins. When one is out of order, the others must take up the slack. Mr Clean can’t come close to this kind of clean.
Because the liver, with it’s incredible ability to detox wastes, make B vitamins, proteins, clotting factors and many other functions, it is truly the organ we need the most. It is the organ that controls so many body functions that Traditional Chinese medical doctors call it the ‘master controller’. Keeping the liver doing what it knows best to do will help the other organs to function better.
The liver detoxes the body via two very complex systems called Phase I and Phase II detoxification. Although the biochemistry is complex, the nutrients required are quite simple – leave it to Mother Nature to create an elegant and efficient system!
Phase I detox is called Oxidation, or the Cytochrome P450 Enzymatic System. This part of the detox pathway takes fat soluble toxins and combines them with simple B vitamins, glutathione (an amino acid combo/antioxidant) and other nutrients to make them water-soluble intermediary metabolites. Cats don’t make adequate glutathione, and therefore can be poisoned more easily than humans or dogs, especially with acetaminophen (tylenol).
These intermediaries are often more toxic than the initial toxin, hence the need for Phase II, the Conjugation Pathways of detox. These pathways require amino acids such as glycine, taurine, methionine, n-acetylcysteine, and others. Again, simple amino acids that are either consumed in the diet or made in the body.
There are numerous trace minerals and plant derivatives that help keep those toxic intermediaries from causing damage. These include simple trace minerals like selenium, copper, zinc, manganese and vitamin A, C, and E. Plant support comes from garlic, onions, cruciferous vegetables, silymarin, pycnogenol, and bioflavinoids.
After Phase II detox the body excretes the toxins through the urine or feces – a process that goes on all day, every day. And there you have it – simple and complex, but always working to keep our bodies clean!
FOODS THAT HELP THE LIVER CLEANSE:
- garlic (allicin, thiols, selenium)
- beets & carrots (flavonoids, beta-carotene)
- green leafy veggies (chlorophylls, especially bitter ones – dandelion, mustard greens, chicory)
- green tea (catechins)
- grapefruit (Vit C)
- avocados (glutathione)
- whole grains (brown rice – B vites)
- olive oil
- cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage)
- lemons, limes (Vit C especially in the morning)
- cabbage, kimchi, coleslaw, sauerkraut
- walnuts (glutathione, arginine)
5 MOST COMMON HEAVY METALS IN ALMOST 100% OF POPULATION
(probably the same rate in animals)
SYMPTOMS OF HEAVY METAL POISONING:
- decreased intelligence
- nervous system disorders
- immune dysfunctions
- muscle weakness and aches
- skin rashes
- high blood pressure
- metallic taste in mouth
- autism spectrum disorders
- behavioral disorders
SUPPLEMENTS THAT HELP HEAVY METAL DETOX:
- milk thistle seed extract (silymarin)
- curcumin (tumeric)
- dandelion leaf extract (also helps kidneys detox)
- glycine (amino acid)
- green tea
- methionine forms l-glutathione; give methionine with zinc and thiamine (methylation)
- N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (increases glutathione levels)
- Vit E
- alpha-lipoic acid
- phosphatidylcholine (methylation)
- superoxide dismutase (SOD)
- SAM-e (increases glutathione)
- whey protein (increases glutathione)
- CaEDTA, DMSA
- modified citrus pectin & seaweed alginates
- Vit D (increases glutathione in the brain)
Although these lists are daunting it’s far better to be educated about the dangers in your animal’s environment, food, home, etc. If you’d like to learn more check out my MINI COURSE WILD BITE FLUSH THOSE TOXINS GOOD BYE! And check out my DETOX PROTOCOL for anyone in the family.